Saturday, July 20, 2024

    How Can We Help?

    Minnesota Homeschool Laws

    ← All Topics



    Annual Standardized Testing.

    Conducted at a location mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.





    • reading,
    • writing,
    • literature,
    • fine arts,
    • math,
    • science,
    • history,
    • geography,
    • economics,
    • government,
    • citizenship,
    • health, and
    • physical education.


    A Notice of Intent is required by Oct 1st of each year or within 15 days of withdrawing from public school.

    The first Notice of Intent should include:

    • the name, date of birth, and address of each child being taught,
    • the annual tests you intend to use (if required),
    • the name of each instructor, and
    • evidence of compliance with teacher qualifications (if applicable).
    • You must also report immunization compliance for each child reaching age 7 and then again in the 7th-grade year.

    In subsequent years a Letter of Intent to Continue Homeschooling should include any changes in the required information.


    You may be asked to provide proof of  attendance, worksheets, and student samples.

    Keep at least 2 years and ALL high school years.

    No requirement for parents but other instructors must be licensed or supervised by a licensed teacher.


    Pass a teacher competency test.


    Provide instruction in an accredited school.


    Hold a baccalaureate degree.

    *The information on this page is for general use only. It should not be taken as legal advice. It is believed to be accurate however state and federal laws change every year. recommends joining an organization such as the Home School Legal Defense Association before your homeschooling adventure begins. HSLDA can provide complete, accurate, legal advice and services for homeschooling families.

    Table of Contents